Generate accurate CSE citations for books, websites, journals and more, with MyBib!
🤔 What is a CSE Citation Generator?
A CSE citation generator is an online tool that creates citations in the Council of Science Editors (CSE) citation style. It does this automatically by taking in an identifier for a document, such as a website URL, book ISBN, or journal DOI, and then formatting the citation correctly using the remaining details.
🤓 What is the CSE citation style?
The CSE citation style is a citation style created by the Council of Science Editors, a non-profit organization. They publish the CSE style guidelines in the CSE Scientific Style and Format Manual, now on the 8th edition.
There are three ways to correctly cite sources in the CSE style. They should not be mixed together (format all citations the same way).
- Name-Year (N-Y): Also known as author-date, the author name and publication year are surrounded with parenthesis and placed next to the cited text as an in-text citation. The reference list at the end of the article is ordered alphabetically by the author's last name.
- Citation-Name (C-N): Superscripted numbers (example: ¹) are placed next to cited text as an in-text citation. The reference list is still sorted alphabetically by the author's last name, but the corresponding in-text citation number is prepended to each reference to connect both of them together.
- Citation-Sequence (C-S): Similar to Citation-Name, superscripted numbers are used next to cited text and are also prepended to the author's name in the reference list, but the reference list is sorted by the citation number in ascending order instead of the author's last name.
👩🎓 Who uses a CSE Citation Generator?
The CSE style is used broadly across the sciences--especially biology, where it originated. If you are studying the sciences, or you are writing to be published in an CSE publication (such as Science Editor), then you will likely need to cite your sources using the CSE style.
🙌 Why should I use a CSE Citation Generator?
Every academic field, not just the sciences, will recommend using a tool to record references to others' work in your writing. A citation generator like MyBib can record this data, and can also automatically create an accurate bibliography from it, with the necessary in-text citations too.
⚙️ How do I use MyBib's CSE Citation Generator?
MyBib's CSE citation generator was designed to be accurate and easy to use (also it's FREE!). Follow these steps:
- Search for the article, website, or document you want to cite using the search box at the top of the page.
- Look through the list of results found and choose the one that you referenced in your work.
- Make sure the details are all correct, and correct any that aren't. Then click Generate!
The generator will produce a formatted CSE citation that can be copied and pasted directly into your document, or saved to MyBib as part of your overall reference list (which can be downloaded fully later!).